Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Day 13

It is truly amazing how the Lord provides in the big and small ways.  I wasn’t really sure what my challenge was for today.  I was on the phone with my sister and after her throwing out several ideas, all things that I had already done at least once in my life, she told me she would find something for me to do.  As soon as I got off the phone with her I received an email from Paige Perdue.
I had the honor and privilege to work with Paige in Georgia during the 2008. The Lord provided a truly great Finance Director to work for.  I know I have told her many times how much I admire her.  She is where I would love to be ten years from now balancing career and family so very well. I feel like I grew the most in my political career while working under her.  She took a chance on me and guided and taught me so many things, things I still try to copy and philosophy that I adhere to.  On many occasions, I have gone to Paige for advice and without fail she provides me sound guidance. 
For these reasons and many more, I was excited to see what she would challenge me with.
I have been thinking about it and not sure what you are looking for…..but – what I would like for you to do is not really a “challenge” but a chance to help others.  I think you will get something out of it as well.  I have a few ideas – you pick – but I feel like turning 30 is the time of life when people begin realizing “it’s not all about me!”  Not that you’ve thought that…..but to me, your 30’s are the beginning of your adult years and time to give back.  So……here goes:

1.      Be a big sister for the Big Brother/Big Sister program.  I think you commit to a year of being a mentor and “sister” to a little girl who really needs someone.
2.      Volunteer at a children’s hospital or shelter – regularly.  Sign up for a regular time slot and go rock the babies or just play for an hour or two.
3.      Volunteer to teach a child’s Sunday School and/or VBS (next summer) class in your church.  You will probably have to commit to one Sunday each month but do it for a year – you will change lives and yours will be changed also!
Let me know what you think and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! 
Thank you so much for the challenge I love it!!!
A close friend also reminds me of this uniquely positioned I am right now in this phase of life to really make an impact. I have come to realize this and over the past year I have often thought about how I might give back and serve the community and church.  It has been quite a while since I have regularly and consisted volunteered for anything.  And that is truly a shame since I know how much I loved doing so in the past. 
Several months ago, this fact really got to me and I took steps to join an organization that empowered woman to serve the community.  This fall starts my provisional year and with it come many, many hours of community service.  One of the big projects that I will be working on this year is the Food in Tummies program.  FIT provides weekly backpacks of food to every elementary student in two of the poorest schools in the Del Valle School District.  I think it is something like 1600 backpacks every week.  I know that I will play a small part in this but every part is a crucial part.  I am very excited about this project but since I was involved in this before today I don’t think this should count.
And since is serving the community I think I should serve within my church, so I check out the announcements on my church website.  I thought I remembered seeing something about Wednesday night Awana volunteers need in the bulletin.  Sure enough the announcement is still up and Laura the children’s’ director is still looking.  I loved Awana’s in elementary school.  I don’t think I was ever a Cubbie or Spark, but was a Chum and Guard (I think I could probably find my crown with jewels if I tried).  I knew what I had to email Laura and tell her I was interest.  I secretly hoped that she wouldn’t check church membership roles.   Within the hour I received a reply that she passed my name on the Awana coordinator and that after I passed a background check I would be good to go.
This coming year is shaping up to be full.  But I look forward to pouring my life into others in the community and church.  Especially to Paige, thank you for the motivation to step out and get more involved in loving others within my church.
XOXO-Amanda May

1 comment:

  1. Hey! I just wanted to say that I am caught up on your blog and I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete