Sunday, August 21, 2011

Day 4



My Challenge for today came from my very oldest HPU Friend, Nannette.  I met her during Spring Preview Day at Howard Payne senior year of high school.  We started the following fall both in the Academy.  We even pledged Rho at the same time. It was a privilege to be at her wedding several years ago and now a joy to see pictures of her cute family of three.  I was never expecting a challenge so wonderful but am not surprised since it came from Nannette. 

You might have already done this but this is one of my favorite, special things.
 
You need to drive to Burnet, TX! Take a picnic (and maybe a friend:). Drive to Park Road 4 (in the direction of Longhorn Caverns). This is my favorite road in Texas!!! You must drive this road back and forth at least twice. There are two HUGE hills that I particularly love--make sure to give it lots of gas going down those hills--super, wonderful rollercoasters.
 
Then, at the end of Park Road 4, about a mile-ish past Longhorn Caverns, is a scenic overlook. Have a picnic there! This is my favorite spot in Texas. I have many pictures from there (my newest profile pic) and many beautiful memories of friendships, prayer time, love, joy, and I even broke up with Chris there when we were dating (he brings this up quite often). Take time to reflect, while you're there, over what God is doing in your life. Praise Him for His incredible creation and for the beauty that He constantly gives us.
 
For added bonus--take the tour in Longhorn Caverns! We just went recently and it was absolutely fascinating.
 
:) Nannette


I read this with joy and headed out with camera and picnic about 5 not knowing I would stay still sunset.  I am not sure I've been down enough roads Nannette to call this my absolute favorite but it will definitely rank high.  Special for you and Chris I thought I'd post some pictures I took of my favorites of the road and overlook as you head back to school.


I love the bright sunshine and the fact that this road is called Park Road 4.


I love the trees.  And I adore the idea of Sunday afternoon drives in the country!!!


Definitely wish those clouds were rain clouds, we need rain. Or yes this is one of the big hills.


I love curvy roads!


I love the shade the big old trees cover the road with.  Also can you feel the excitement of the upcoming downhill?


The thrill of the accelerator downhill.


And the view up.


And the road back up to do it all over again. 


Nannette, I'm sure you have seen this house.  I love the blue Texas roof and the windmill in the yard.


I used the driveway to turn around.  Also one more look at the house not so zoomed in and a little less creepy.


They also have a cute water well.


The sheer anticipation of going down the hill again.




Nice right?




Is is something I love about country roads, the pride of country and state.  I suspect it might be one of the many things that add to the charm of this road.


 I also love the warning sign of the upcoming downhill.


And on to the curvy roads, where you should go 30 to truly enjoy the beauty.






After passing the Caverns I was excited about this overlook spot, Nannette had not been wrong about the road or hills and then I caught a brief shot.


But first, I really would love to live in this house. Which is a thought I am sure Nannette shares.


To the southwest!



West.

And northwest.



Nannette, I absolutely love it. So much so I couldn't help but playing with my timer on the camera, but I will only share two of these photos with you.


As instructed I took in the beauty of the Creator and just spent the rest of the evening there worshiping Him.  The view and warm breeze were perfect for pondering life.

As many of you know I am pretty partial to Oklahoma sunsets over the prairie.  But to confess, the one I took in, captured and will share with you over the Texas hill country was spectacular. So for Nannette and others enjoyment, I hope you enjoy.















This sign and the one opposite (the other one list grand children) this adds to the charm of this road.  On several occasion Nannette and I joined other sorority sister and picked up trash in Early.  We did this as a service to the community, but I just have to believe that the grandchildren and Glasscock girls share the same love of this road that Nannette and I do.


I also love taking pictures out of my moving car looking back.  Nannette if I haven't said it enough, THANK YOU for a great challenge, lovely Sunday afternoon drive, and wonderful memories.

XOXO-Amanda Gravitt

No comments:

Post a Comment