Living half way across the country from family and friends seems to be a fact of life for me.
For several wonderful years I lived in the southeast and so very close to my dear cousin Suzanne. I didn’t have the pleasure of growing up in the same town with her, but do have memories of visiting her and so many other members of my Northern California family as a child. During those years I lived just a couple of hours away and made many trips to Moore to visit her and her family. I found a dear friend in my cousin. And absolutely fell in love with her boys (more about them another day). There are so many things I could share about my time with her and her family, but I will share the one relevant to this post. When by chance either Suzanne or I had opportunity to turn the television away from Dora, History, or Military channels, we would flip to the Food Network. It might have been at her house that I really discovered this channel. Hours would be spent watching amazing chefs create mater pieces or learn the back story on orange marmalade. This time that often bled into me trying to assist in meal preparation were always ones that I truly enjoyed.
I now only see my cousin just a couple of times each year and talk much too infrequently. Did I mention she is a mom to four boys? I would absolutely love to live close to her again, but like I said above living half way across the country from family and friends seems to be a fact of life for me right now.
I received this email from her last night and read it this morning.
I smiled as I read this and so would have loved to gone with her as well. Amanda,I'm hoping you get this in time! I tried texting and calling you but couldn't reach you. So Saturday's assignment is mostly from me. :) I was watching Food Network, and the chefs were telling about their favorite places to eat. Wouldn't you know it, they talked about a place right there in Austin, TX! Immediately, I thought of you! This place is called Odd Duck (Farm to Trailer). Weird, I know, but it really sounded yummy! What they said on Food Network was the best dish to order was the Pork Belly Slider with Sweet Potato Slaw. I want you to take a friend there for lunch or dinner and enjoy! I can't wait to see how it is!Here is some info: (512) 695-6922 1219 S. Lamar Blvd. Austin, TX http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/leaxK2HFGdqB2ZcS7oPdug?select=0GWWs5m9z6M-v-zJd0xwfwThe website above is a picture of the place. I soooo wish I was there to go with you!!! Love you and have a great time!!Suzanne
If you didn’t know some of Austin’s fame is from their trailer roadside restaurants. You can get all sorts of meals from these trailers ranging from cupcakes, Korean BBQ, specialty donuts, or gourmet farm fresh meals. I have lived in Austin over two years now and till today; I had not dined at one of these trailers.
Since Suzanne’s assignment was to bring a friend, I chose a friend who will soon be moving half way across the country. (Again a fact of life for me) I most definitely need to spend as much time as possible with her and since I had not seen her in over a week this was assignment was perfect. So I made plans, we met, and we were off to discover this Odd Duck place.
We arrived about 6:30ish ready to experience all the wonders of “farm to trailer” food. We both were excited about the Pork Belly Slider. We were exactly excited about 110 degree weather but were troopers.
Along with the sliders I ordered the Parmesan Grits and she got the Tomato and Spicy Melon side.
The Sliders were amazing and the slaw, yummy. The duck egg on top of the grits, were a bit odd.
The company was amazin. Thanks Suzanne for suggesting I bring a friend. And In Sook thanks for venturing out with me.
.
I also thought I’d share some other random pictures of the surrounding trailers for Suzanne’s boys enjoyment. Her second oldest Logan wants to become a chef one day. I truly think that he would have enjoyed joining with me and discovering the odd places a chef can open a restaurant.
XOXO-Amanda May








No comments:
Post a Comment