Friday, August 26, 2011

Day 8

Today's challenge comes from my friend Michelle in the Peach state.  I met Michelle while working the 2008 Senate race in Georgia.  She was our communications director and did a fantastic job!  She has since left politics and is working for Cafe 1040, a really interesting sending organization. What else can I share about Michelle?  She is a Dave Ramsey gal, involved with the Junior League, and just last weekend completed a Triathlon.  Well, I could go on, but I am sure you are curious to know what I did today.

This morning I opened Michelle's email and read the following.



Ok Amanda - here is your challenge for tomorrow.  You need to cook dinner for a friend BUT it has to be an ethic/international dinner from a country in the 10/40 Window!  So pick a country anywhere from North Africa, the Middle East, Asia, India - and then pick a dish and cook dinner for a friend.  A great way to try new food and a great way to learn more about the 10/40 Window!  ENJOY!  I cannot wait to see how it goes!  

Lots of love and birthday blessings to you!

Michelle
I love this idea Michelle. I first became aware of the 10/40 Window while in high school. For years know always been interested in hearing stories of the work being done in those parts of the world and praying for those I know and don't know living their lives ministering in those countries.  I am currently praying for my new friends Ryan and Kristen as they prepare to move to India and start their work there. 

I also knew immediately what to make.  This past May I had a chance to actually be in the Middle East, I took my sister's puppy to her.  While in Oman I discovered that spices were very inexpensive, so I loaded up on Cloves, Turmeric, Cinnamon, Gram Masala,  Bay Leaves, Coriander, Ginger, Garlic Powder, and possibly others.  Since being back I  wanted to made Chicken Masala for friends since I had the spice needed, but never forced myself to actually do it. 

I found a fairly simple recipe online to make and was confident that after I picked up a couple additional items (things I should have had in the pantry anyways), I would be quickly enjoying a yummy dish.

If you didn't know this about me I also love Bollywood movies! Seriously, I get them from the Library any chance I can.  I own a couple (sadly not Slumdog Millionaire).  I love how randomly the actors and extras will break into song and dance. I even have my favorite actors, Shah Rukh Khan, Saif Ali Khan, and Aishwarya Ria. My very first Bollywood movie was Lagaan.

Sorry about that back to the challenge, I also needed a friend.  This was kind of last minute but I finally sought out my friend Mark Lee.  I tempted him with a new Indian dish he had never had and a Bollywood movie.  He agreed and was super excited about the new dish.  While I was stirring, chopping, and making a mess, I was able to share with him I little bit about the 10/40 Window.  As it simmered we definitely popped in Kal Ho Naa Ho with subtitles of course.  And were soon enjoying the yummy dish below over a bed of rice.



Michelle, thanks so much for suggesting this today. I really need to cook ethnically more often with the sole purpose about remembering those around the world that don't know the good news and remembering those who are working on the field sharing the saving message.

XOXO-Amanda May





1 comment:

  1. Wow that looks really yummy. Your going to make me want to go out for some traditional food now. Glad you put those spices to use. Glad you had a good time with dinner and the movie. :)

    ReplyDelete